Truffles have a fairly short shelf life and should be eaten as soon as possible to enjoy at their best. Knowing how to care for truffles is important to look after them. They will keep for 1 - 2 weeks if stored carefully, however the aroma and flavour will halve in about 5 days. Truffles are typically more than 70% water and will naturally lose 2 or 3 % of their body weight per day (moisture). If you wait too long, they will rot or dry-out.
We have given your truffles a quick clean. You may wish to clean them further before using them. Wash them under running water using a small brush (e.g. a toothbrush) then dry them carefully in kitchen towel. It is possible to freeze truffles but this is not recommended, the flavour is affected. When they are defrosted, they can soften and go off quickly.
How to Care for Truffles
- Remove your truffles from all of the packaging.
- Place them in an airtight container (Tupperware box, glass jar, zip-loc bag) wrapped in kitchen towel. Close the lid tightly and put it in the warmest part of the fridge (generally the top-shelf).
- Check them daily, wipe away any condensation that collects inside the container and change the kitchen towel.
- If they grow a little white mould (harmless) clean them as above.
Storing Fresh Truffles with Eggs
- We love to store our fresh truffles with fresh eggs in a large seal-able container for 2-3 days. This infuses the egg with the truffle aroma - wonderful when scrambled! Other than adding the eggs, follow the instructions as above.
Making Truffle Oil
- We strongly recommend that you DO NOT try to make your own truffle oil due to the risk of the bacteria that can cause the dangerous botulism toxin to develop.
|The advice of the UK Food Standards Agency to consumers is that vegetable in oil products [e.g. truffle oil]. should not be made in the home. Although recipes can be found in cookery books, magazines and websites it should not be assumed that they have been designed to control the risk of botulism. If consumers decide to make these products, then they should be used immediately and any left-over thrown away. Source of information (PDF file).|
Commercial manufacturers are aware of the hazard and will have followed safe practices.