06/11/23 – We are no longer using first class post to send dog training truffles. Too frequently they are delivering after c. 10 days and have rotted requiring us to replace them. We are now using a next day delivery service subsiding the additional cost. Please see the “Delivery” tab for details. There is no standard delivery option now.
Dog training truffles (English Black Autumn truffles* / truffle pieces) – NOT for human consumption. They may be small, holey, not fully ripe, slug-eaten parts or offcuts with a total minimum weight of 20 grams. In the season, c. September – c. January, they will generally be supplied as fresh truffles. Typically, we do not hold any stock but will supply them when we next gather any – usually every week. This means in general; we do not send out truffles on the day that they are ordered.
On occasions in the season, and out of season, they will be supplied from frozen stock and will be defrosted when they reach you. Whether supplied fresh or frozen they should be refrigerated when not being used (see “Caring for your dog training truffles” tab).
* Very occasionally we may supply dog training truffles of a very closely related species – Bagnoli truffles (Tuber mesentericum / Tuber bituminatum). Their aroma is very intense, reminiscent of phenol or iodine and weakens when exposed to air. Although slightly different to English truffles (Tuber uncinatum) they are still highly suitable for training dogs to find British truffles.
We recommend that, at least initially, you put the truffle in a small container so the dog does not eat it! The container should not have any scent of its own and not be too small to avoid any risk it being swallowed by the dog. It will also want some holes making in it let the smell out. We recommend scenting probes made from sections of plastic pipe with holes drilled in them and end caps adding. Such pipe and caps can be obtained from a plumbing supplies retailer.
06/11/23 – We are no longer using first class post to send dog training truffles. Too frequently they are delivering after c. 10 days and have rotted requiring us to replace them. We are now using a next day delivery service subsiding the additional cost. We are sorry but we are no longer offering a standard delivery option for this product.
We use a Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed ® by 1pm (next working day) service*. This delivery requires a signature and will not be left without it or taken to a neighbour etc. You can choose a different shipping address at the checkout and have your truffles delivered to another address such as your work.
* Exceptions apply to Highland and Island locations. See Postcodes and exceptions on this page for details.
When we have sent your dog training truffles you will receive an email “Your order is complete”. This includes the tracking link. If you are not going to be in, on the day of delivery the Royal Mail tracking web page will be updated to include an “Update Delivery Options” button. Once you enter your delivery postcode, this allows you to change the delivery day and options to:
- Redeliver to your address
- Collect from a Post Office*
- Collect from a Delivery Office*
* This Royal Mail web page can show you your nearest collection options and includes their opening hours. Do note that some post offices and delivery offices are only open for limited hours and that truffles are perishable so should not be left uncollected beyond the next day.
No shipping charge
This option applies when you would like to collect your dog training truffles at one of our events which you are booked on. If you chose this but your order needs to be sent to you, we will require the delivery fee before dispatching to you.
Fresh truffles have a fairly short shelf life. They will keep for 1 – 2 weeks if looked after carefully, however the aroma and flavour will reduce over time.
- Remove your truffles from all of the packaging.
- When not being used for training, place them in an airtight container (Tupperware box, glass jar, zip-loc bag) wrapped in kitchen towel. Close the lid tightly and put it in the warmest part of the fridge (generally the top-shelf).
- Check them daily, wipe away any condensation that collects inside the container and change the kitchen towel.
Frozen truffles will be defrosted by the time they arrive with you. They soften as they defrost and will not keep as long as fresh truffles. To get the maximum use from them, you can refreeze them, use them for training and then refreeze them multiple times.