Dog training truffles (English Black Autumn truffles / truffle pieces) – NOT for human consumption. They may be small, holey or offcuts with a total minimum weight of 20 grams. In the season, c. September – c. February, they will generally be be supplied as fresh truffles. On occasions in the season, and out of season, they will be supplied from frozen stock and will be defrosted when they reach you. Whether supplied fresh or frozen they should be refrigerated when not being used (see “Caring for your dog training truffles” tab).
Caring for your dog training truffles
Storing Fresh Truffles
Fresh truffles have a fairly short shelf life. They will keep for 1 – 2 weeks if looked after carefully, however the aroma will reduce over time.
- Remove your truffles from all of the packaging.
- When not being used for training, wrap them in kitchen towel and place them in an airtight container (Tupperware box, glass jar, zip-loc bag). Close the lid tightly and put it in the warmest part of the fridge (generally the top-shelf).
- Check them daily, wipe away any condensation that collects inside the container and change the kitchen towel.
Storing Frozen Truffles
- On occasions in the season, and out of season, we may supply from frozen stock, the truffles will be defrosted when they reach you.
- You can refreeze them when you are not using them and train with them while still frozen. If not, keep in the fridge as fresh truffles.